Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Ahhhh Wind Storms.

I LOVE them.  I could feel this one coming.  No, really.  I have a small thermomo-baro-meter in my back.  The place where I got the epidural when I was in labor with Breckin aches when the weather changes and when the temp drops in my house.  I can literally point at the spot where the needle went in cause it bothers me when I'm super over tired or the air gets cold or hot real quick.  Weird, I know.  Some attention-starved mayors of jerkville would file a lawsuit for illegally installing a thermometer in the spinal tap but I kinda like my back spot.

Anyway, we had our first overnight power outage last night and I was mentally prepared to sleep in the hall and set alarms on our cell phones before I heard it coming on the news.  See, when the power goes out, fancy gadgets like baby monitors don't work.  And, although it'll be nice to be completely across the house from Ella when she's a teenager and blasts her Nirvana, right now it's not so great.  I can't hear her crying while IN my room.  Let alone in my room asleep.  So, when the power goes out, I sleep on the floor in the hall outside her room so I can hear when she wakes up.  And, yes, she's slept from 8:00 pm til 7:00 am every night since she was one week old but (knock on wood, cross your fingers behind your back, do not tell the sick fairies I said this) the one, eventual night she chucks in her bed will be the one night I don't have full monitor abilities.  So, there I sleep. 

The power went out at 10 pm.  Breckin was snoring and Dustin moved him from his bed to ours so when the temp dropped he wouldn't wake up cold and step on my head on his way to wake us up and tell us he was cold.  A-ha!  Five years of being a parent gives us this insight.  Anyway, we all had our flashlights near our heads, our unusual sleeping positions assumed, and cell phones alarms set.  Sure enough, the power stayed out til 8 am.  Which is good cause if it hadn't fifteen lights, two tvs, and the dishwasher would have all started at 3 in the morning and no one wants that.  It was the perfect start to storm season.  Just enough power outage fun to cancel school the next day.  Just enough pitch darkness to get our storm brains going- do we have enough batteries, canned peas, oatmeal, and peanut butter?  But we didn't have to deal with grilling shrimp on a Coleman or take super cold showers or drive around doing nothing to charge our cell phones.  There was a significant loud bang right when the lights went out- probably a tree or transformer blowing or the huge steel light pole that fell across some poor sap's driveway a few blocks away.  And, I LOVED every minute.  Ok, now no more.  A few inches of snow so we can sled and build some snowmen and I'm set.  Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Aaahh, I miss those days. :) P.S. I love the label "Not kid related" So cute!!

    ReplyDelete