Monday, November 22, 2010

It's early, I know.

I know, I know.  It's kind of a rule in our house not to put out any Christmas decorations or turn on Gene Autry or really have any sort of Christmas acknowledgement until the day after Thanksgiving.  November is a month for celebrating football games, thanking Pilgrims, and finishing up all the Halloween candy.  Christmas doesn't rear it's sparkling, delightful head until after the1st plate of turkey is gone.  BUT.  It's not my fault if one of our family traditions involves the most beautiful Christmas party in Seattle.  I mean, I worked there as a young teen dressed as an elf or sugar plum fairy.  I've decorated trees, tied numerous giant bows, held the flashlight to point out bidders at the live auction, wore beautiful jewelry around the cocktail hour for the silent auction, baked cookies, served hot chocolate, got blown off by a rude and not-so-child friendly Jerry Lewis, packaged Christmas decorations bought by party goers, and any other task asked of me. 

My gorgeous mother STILL is involved with making this "Christmas Party" happen although it's gone from teddy bear teas for children to an overblown night of glamour for the wealthiest to story time and cookies for all.  25 or so trees are dec'd to the hilt with oversized ornaments, yards of ribbon, and statues of Santa that you usually only see on mantels.  Those suckers are hard wired so tightly to the trees that when someone buys one tree, it is delivered with all decorations still attached and those puppies don't move.  An inch. 

Just pulling up to the Fairmont Olympic downtown Seattle brings back so many memories.  The warm pineconey, cinnamon smell of the lobby.  The hoards of people dressed in their carefully chosen Christmas sweaters and pearls and tulle.  And, for crying out loud, last night it was snowing.  And now, I get to share it with my kids.  The suite they cover with teddy bears has new meaning in the eyes of baby Ella.  The giant teddy bear is almost the same size as Breckin when only a few years ago it dwarfed him.  We all had three or six cookies.  Listened to Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.  Danced to the choral singers lined up on the staircase.  Stood in line to talk to the big man only to see Ella FREAK OUT, flail her legs wildly, cry crocodile tears of fear, and damn near fall on the floor trying to escape.  Sorry, Yuen Lui, have fun processing those pictures.  It was a glorious night and one I look forward to every year.  I may or may not be getting the Christmas boxes down early cause for me, it's Christmas time! 














No comments:

Post a Comment