Saturday, October 30, 2010

This one's for you, Mom.

I don't know if all parents to do this, but I do.  Every little thing my kids do- especially if it's the first time doing it- I wonder where they get it from.  Did I do that?  Did Dustin?  And, I know full well that a lot of stuff skips a generation.  Heidi and I do things that our grandparents definitely do (stay up til 3 am reading?  Heidi) but our parents may not.  Well, this one?  It's me.  I only know this because my mother reminds me frequently that I used to signal dinner was done by wiping my food slathered hands through my hair and swiping the rest of whatever was on my plate onto the floor.  See that face above?  She's just finished some salmon and rice and veggies and now she shared some with her hair.  Then, before I could grab her tray, she grabbed two handfuls of smashed food and carefully dropped it straight into Tiki's waiting grasp.  Other than when Auntie Jos reminded Breckin of his hair during his 1st birthday cake party, he never really did that. 

It's never been a guessing game with Breckin- he is 110% Dustin.  Looks like him, walks like him, makes the same expressions, is 75% torso and 25% legs, and snores like him.  But with Ella- she started out looking exactly like her brother and, to my surprise, is evolving further and further away from that.  I have a picture where she looks exactly like my sister did as a baby.  Alright, she doesn't have pitch black hair but I see more of my family and less of D's. 


Am I grasping at straws to make one of my children resemble the Lauer crew?  Maybe.  Should I not compare everything my kids do to each other or one of us?  Maybe.  I can't help it and I know other parents MUST do it.  Sure, they'll change.  Sure, Breckin says I Don't Think So with the same raised eyebrow and head tilt as my mother.  It's kinda fun playing the genetics game when they do stuff and trying to make sense of the two family trees that shaped these kids.  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment