Saturday, October 2, 2010

Ok, Heidi. You win.

In the sisterly battle of who is becoming mom first, you win.  Or, I win.  Or, however it means that I'm the Patti of our generation.  I went to my first PTA meeting last Thursday.  I volunteered for stuff.  I'll be the art docent in Breckin's classroom.  I'm making his Halloween costume cause they just don't sell Devastator cosutmes in stores.  I've said "What's the worst thing that could happen?" to Breckin at least three times last week.  We listen to Phantom of the Opera in my car cause then no one fights over music.  I made cheese tortillas for lunch.  And, I ate them, too.  I drank a Pepsi while ironing and watching Oprah.  Part of my getting ready for bed routine always involves unloading or starting the dishwasher, switching over laundry, or cleaning up the entry way from it's jacket bombardment.  And, five point three seconds after sitting down once the kids are asleep, I am nodding off in my chair while "watching" a show with Dustin.

It's happened.  Do we go to my girlfriends' house for cheap weekend entertainment?  Yes.  Do we hang out in the driveways of our street and order pizza?  Yep.  Does the local beach or park qualify as sunny Saturday activities?  You bet.  Scholastic book orders?  Check.  I'm mom.  And, don't tell anyone, but I think I'm wearing mom jeans.

Here's the thing about mom jeans.  When did this title erupt?  When our generation's mothers were convicted of wearing jeans that meant they were high at the waist, had large back pockets, shorter than regulation allows, and lighter than the trendy dark jeans.  When were the last time these jeans were in style?  The early 80's.  And, as a mom, if anyone in the house needs clothing, then mom doesn't get new stuff.  When was the last time Mom bought herself jeans?  The early 80's.  So, don't diss moms for wearing mom jeans cause it means her children are trendy.

So, my generation of mom jeans are boot cut, medium blue, Silvers.  I see trendy moms or moms who's children don't need new stuff wearing the cute jeggings (are they really that cute, though?) or 7 for all mankind with the fancy pocket details.  I'm not.  Ella needs jammies, Breckin needs shoes and winter stuff, and I'm wearing the same jeans I wore before I had kids.  Totally not complaining- jeans shopping sucks and I'd rather buy fuzzy footie jammies than try on new stuff for me.  But, there it is.  I'm working the mom jeans of our times.

Heidi, you better start catching up.  If I don't see you driving 18 children to soccer practice or being a cookie mom soon, the race will be officially over.  The ultimate contest ender?  A mini-van.  And, I have to say, the 2010 Town & Country looks pretty dang good....  

2 comments:

  1. I'm right on your tail with this contest! I don't have a school age kid yet, but it's less than a year away, and then I'll be doing all those things that go along with school too. Already doing the rest of that, including the 2000's "mom jeans". Oh yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go, Christy! I'm kinda in love with the fact that I've reached these milestones. Fun, huh?

    ReplyDelete