Wednesday, December 22, 2010

What no one wants to go through.

It's December.  People should be bustling around with holiday cheer and smiling at strangers.  People should be watching movies at night with their kids and eating jello and playing board games.  People should be getting the mail and eating lunch in their dining rooms and sleeping in if there's no school or work.  But, one family on our street is not.  They are together, sure, but together in the worst way.  Their baby girl- a 2 1/2 year old who melts your heart with her smile- is very, very sick.  She has been at Children's Hospital for far too long with her tiny body fighting infections and mucus and fevers and anything else that is testing her for reasons we don't understand.  I've been avoiding talking about it here because it scares me. 

Some of you know her, some don't.  She is one of the sweetest people I've met- grown or not.  She loves life and pets and babies and everyone around her.  Her mommy and daddy are having the worst month of their lives.  They should not be spending December- or any month for that matter- in a hospital room praying for their baby's life.  They are enduring things that we cannot imagine and that we, as parents, have to stop ourselves from thinking about for fear of ending up curled up on the floor in puddles of tears.

And, what the heck do you do for someone else going through that?  I've never been through anything like that and I have no idea where to start.  We pray.  Every night we pray for Bri and her mommy and daddy and her unborn brother or sister.  We are making them food so they don't have to eat hospital food.  Our street is truly a family and we have each other's backs.  Is that enough?  I don't know.  It's what we've got.  I wish I could take the burden off of Jamie and Paul's shoulders for one day.  If someone knows what to do for parents going through this, please let me know.

I have a badge over there for another family fighting for their child's life and it's only fair that I give mention to one who is right. across. the street.  She is on my mind every single day.  Fight, Brianna, Fight.  For God's sake come home.  Soon.  Your silence around here is deafening.   

You can read more here but you will have to create a login.  It's ok.  Just do it.
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/briannadicola

1 comment:

  1. There was a family here last summer her lost their little girl, but spent some time at Primary Children's in Utah. Their blog is: http://patrickandashley.blogspot.com/ You could send her an email and ask her what she appreciated most.
    I'll keep your friends family in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete