Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Purple Day

Today is Purple Day at school.  One day a month, Breckin's preschool class has a color day and they encourage kids to wear that color.  We are down with all color days throughout the year EXCEPT purple day.  Even if it was Ella, and she wore purple on other days, she wouldn't wear purple on Purple Day.  Why? 

"I can't define it, I can't tell someone who isn't a cougar what it's like. There's something that happens at Washington State; you quietly and subtly become infected...Washington State is a passion. Being a cougar is a passion"
     -Jim Walden

Therefore, if the rest of the world declares Purple Day, we will not participate.  And I know it's not just me.  I walk into Breckin's classroom and I see: 
  • two kids wearing UW shirts
  • one little girl wearing a WSU cheerleader outfit
  • one kid with a REAL MEN DON'T WEAR PURPLE throwback t-shirt that clearly used to be his father/mother's cause it's tied up in the back with the sleeves rolled up and hastily sewn
  • Breckin wearing a Seahawks shirt cause I currently don't have any WSU shirts that are his size
I LOVE the football rivalry that is UW vs WSU and I LOVE even more that Breckin goes to school with some other, clearly crazed football fans.  Some kids just had on regular purple things with non-collegiate related pictures but the fact that five kids out of twelve took Purple Day beyond just the color warms my heart.  The funny thing?  On Red Day, no one but the Coug kids acknowledge this rivalry.  Those UW fans will send their kids to school in whatever red stuff they have....   

Let's all say it together.  GO COUGS!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. you are hilarious - but the only way I will ever say those words is if my son gets a full ride scholorship to play football at WSU - and even then - I will cringe just a little.

    GO HUSKIES!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Purple is my favorite color. :(
    My college didn't have a football team. But we did have lacrosse. And we had an intense rivalry with Whitworth, although only we were aware of it. They always seemed confused and a little hurt when the guy in the buckskin shirt burned the Jolly Roger.
    Missionaries, Missionaries! We're on top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha, ha, ha! Clark and I enjoyed reading this post! So true that Coug fans won't wear purple, but Husky fans will wear red...funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like a failure of a parent because my son doesn't have a myriad of Cougar items to wear at any given moment.

    ReplyDelete