Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Breckin loves TBall.

Not playing it.  Reading about it.  Auntie Heidi- I'm lookin at you. 

He just turned 5, right?  What do 5 year olds learn in Kindergarten?  How to write their letters and how to read basic words.  Well, I'm sorry future Kindergarten teacher, Breckin is going to drive you bonkers.  Cause he knows how to do both of those things and now he's reading Berenstain Bears books.  What the what?

Last night, his foolish, ill-planning mother kept him out too late on a week night.  So, he rushed through a very short show, took a super-zippy shower, and jumped in bed.  I told him I would read the first two pages of his book and he could stay up with his flashlight on to "read" the rest on his own.  He usually complains about that and I get suckered into reading a few more pages and/or books with him.  No biggie, right?  Well, last night, he must have drank some "I'm a big kid and know how to be a good boy at night" juice cause I read him the first two pages of Berenstain Bears Play T-Ball and handed it to him to finish.

I wasn't serious.  Finish looking at the pages and maybe talking about what they were doing.  That's all.  I never intended to stand up from the side of the bed and see him:
                              Point his finger at each word "Billy swung the bat.  He hit it hard.  He did not hit the ball.  He hit the tee!" and say them correctly and laugh at the humor.  He continued on like this for the entire book.  He missed a few words here and there but, for the most part, I stood there with my mouth hanging open.

I grabbed him, hugged him, and told him I was very proud of him for reading so well.  I sent Daddy up to hear his new skill but by the time he got up there, he was done reading and almost asleep.  He's had this book for not quite a week and I've only read it to him twice.  He's real deal reading new stuff.  IN-sane, I tell you.  Insane. 

Again, I apologize to his teacher next year because I've taught Kindergarten.  I know what they are going to teach him and I know he already knows his phonics and his complex sounds like th, sh, ch, and tion/sion.  He's going to be bored and there is nothing worse than a bored student.  His summer school will consist of learning patience and how to entertain himself when everyone else is busy and he's done with his work.  Crap.  I'm not even good at that stuff. 

1 comment:

  1. Go Breckin! I think you're at least as responsible as I am for this, Sister. You read at least as much as I did. And aren't you Boggle champion of the universe too?

    He'll zone out and make up stories in his head. Depending on his teacher, he might get in trouble for it. Hopefully he has a good teacher. Still, you might want to give the teacher fair warning.

    If he gets so bored he can't stand it, you might need to make special arrangements. Getting me out of the SRA Reading Rainbow was one of the best things Mom and Dad ever did. And I'm sure that once Ms. Spong got over that I was, in fact, not going to do the Reading Rainbow, she much preferred that I read my own books quietly at my desk than that I perfect my paper-airplane-making skills.

    If he's reading abnormally quickly, you should warn his teacher so he doesn't get in trouble for not doing his reading when he's actually read everything already. Ms. Spong and Ms. Utgaard used to hassle me about that. I learned to read everything twice.

    Ms. Cordner was a godsend.

    ReplyDelete