Tuesday, June 22, 2010

I like different perspectives

So, I'm pretty comfortable with my version of faith.  It's taken a lot of years and a lot of different churches to put my faith together but I like where it's at.  I'm not going to get into The Christian-ish History of Holly right now but let me just say this:
              Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to the garage makes you a car.

Thanks for that one, Mom.  It's true.  That combined with "I'll call him God but you can call him/her/it Buddha, Muhammed, Brahma, Tao, etc" basically sums up my views.  I'm not monotheistic.  I like what a lot of religions have to say and I think a lot of them are saying the same thing.  It's a damn shame that we let semantics get in the way.

Intense, huh?  I don't mean it to be a heavy subject, per se.  And, I ran across this via a Facebook status of an old friend (yeah, Danny Clark, I just called you old). 

            Christianity Definition: The belief that some cosmic Jewish zombie can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present because some rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

Now, if that doesn't sound funny, I don't know what does.  Can't we all get a little perspective from that one?  Doesn't it sound ridiculous when put that way?

What do you believe?  Can you handle it when others re-word something so sacred into something so trivial?  I can.  I think it's hilarious. 

Leave a comment on this one.  Let's start a grown-ups conversation about it.  I'd like to know what you think whether I've known you forever or just met you via the Mommy Blogger world.  Nothing mean, nothing rude, and for the love of God- don't take anything personally.  Go!

5 comments:

  1. Well said hon. I have always said that I feel closer to God when I am woodworking or in nature than I do sitting in an uncomfortable seat in church.

    I am surprised there are no comments on this yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chad and I have gone to church most Sundays our entire marriage - until a couple of years ago. A couple of my friends try to make me feel bad about the fact that we dont go - but I am with you. Going to church does not make you a christian. Whether or not I go to the building does not determine whether or not I believe. I can sing just as loud (maybe louder) as I do in church worship and it's more meaningful to me because it's private.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To me religion is something personal to each person. As Holly stated (very well I might add) each person chooses his/her God and follows a certain path decreed by said denonation. Personally I was raised in a very Christian environment, my grandfather being a paster and all so I've had my share of church, scripture, and prayers. I think it hit me the hardest when my grandfather (the greatest role model I had growing up), who lived a great life, had a large family, gave unconditionally, etc. passed away after a long battle with cancer. I could not understand why God did this. I still don't. I think I decided then to live my life a certain way. I feel if someone lives a descent life, is good natured, loves his/her family and treats others well then a loving forgiving god should look down and nod in approval. Seriously, how could God pass judgement on man for living a good life? Anyone who knows me, knows I don't attend church but I'm the first to help someone in need. Thanks Holly for another great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chully- I hear what you're saying loud and clear. I've had some of my greatest role models taken away or affected by cancer. Here's what the pastor at one of our local churches said on my recent church-hop:

    Science happens. People are born with the chemicals in their brain and yes, God gave them those brains but, science still happens. Cancer cells happen. It's what you do when faced with that challenge that determines your faith. I mean, look- he was given a fantastic grandchild (you) so he served his purpose by passing those qualities on to another Dad. So his legacy will live and his faith served him well.

    ReplyDelete