Friday, July 16, 2010

Girl Cheese

I mean, grilled cheese.  I'm so used to thinking words the way Breckin says them that I actually meant to write this title as grilled cheese, wrote girl cheese, erased it, laughed at myself, and re-wrote it back in there wrong cause it was just too funny not to.  It's like womenade or festibul or brefixt or toysker.  I think about these words wrongly and now I have to correct myself like George frickin Bush trying to say nu-ku-ler. 

So, GRILLED cheese.  (Man, I really have to force that one out.  Again, I typed girl cause that's what my head was thinking.  This could be an interesting psycho-linguistic study done someday)

I was eating said sandwich for lunch today while home sick.  I kept Ella with me rather than taking her to Denise cause even if I haven't stopped coughing for 35 hours straight and am operating on 3 1/2 hours of sleep, I'd rather spend the day with her while she's not crawling and/or walking and can just sit and look cute.  Which she obliged, happily.  So, there I was at milepost 25 sitting on the floor, eating my cheese, and had Ella plopped down next to me.  Eyeing me.  She had just drank a bottle and, I thought, was content.  But she kept eyeing me.  And twirling her hands in the air and clenching then opening then clenching her fingers.  And sticking her tongue out.  And making dadadadadadada noises.  And leaning closer and closer and reaching for my sandwich. 

So, what do I do?  Hand her a toy?  Nope.  My dumb ass says "you want some cheese, baby?"  I know full well that a)  Babies aren't supposed to eat dairy until 1 year old and b) the most solid food she's had up to this point is Gerber puffs and apple sliced through a strainer net.  I think the a) guideline is meant to be heard so that parents won't just bypass the $35 cans of formula and feed their kids milk cause babies need the nutrients that are in the formula.  They just say dairy instead of milk so it's easier to market and persuade people.  I mean, they make yogurt for 6 mos olds for crying out loud so someone else doesn't care if their kids eat dairy AND that yogurt is Ella's fav food.  Man, I get off topic easily.

So, I tear off a piece of that girl cheese sandwich, maintain some sense of parent sensibility, and hold onto the gooey, squashed bite while she teethes happily on it.  She gets little nibbles at a time and is ELATED.  Like, more elated than when Elmo is on a commercial.  She is down right tickled with this new found cheese and bread combo.  I had no butter, no mayo, nothing but cheese and bread so I continued to break off tiny chunks and let her gum pieces smaller than a Gerber puff into her mouth.  She didn't eat a major sandwich, just enough to satisfy her curiosity and feel like such a big girl. 

I guess, what I'm trying to say is, baby girl ate her first big girl food.  And, if she sits next to me that cute any longer, I'd probably feed her pickles and cake.  She is hilarious with those twirling hands and blah blah tongue.  And that girl likes food.  We'll be more calculated next time about what we offer her.  Any suggestions?

The only rule I'd like to stick to is no processed sweets until after her 1st birthday.... but, we'll see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment