Monday, August 2, 2010

The Adjustment Phase

Holy Hell.  I'm sorry, was this my idea?  Oh, wait, let me straighten my plaid skirt and dust off my apron.  I simply ADORE being a home-bound mommy.  No, it's not that sarcastic- only a little.  Really.  I promise. 

Both Breckin and I are going through the adjustment phase.  When I put myself to sleep last night (on the couch while "watching" a show with Dustin) I was dreaming of this glorious free time I would have while home with the kiddos.  Because, you know what?  On weekends, Breckin can and has sat and played with his trains for an hour.  Maybe more.  So, I was all, sweet.  I'll have a few chunks of time to work on some of these closets and really make this kitchen floor shine and send a few emails to long lost friends.  Uh huh.  Yeah.  Turns out he only sits down for an hour on the weekends because 14 SCREAMING 5 YEAR OLDS RUN HIM RAGGED all week long.  Where are those damn kids and how do I rent some for a day? 

We did fine in the house together right up until the midafternoon witching hour.  He played for a while this morning, I got some nice work started cleaning out my clothes, Ella jumperooed, we had a nice lunch, played at a park, the clock turned 4 PM and BLAMMO!  Game over.  Meltdown city.  He was bored, I was frustrated that I didn't get enough done, Ella only took one nap, and that was it.  Nothing could satiate him.  And, it only went downhill from there.  Slumpy at the dinner table, grumpy about eating his sausage, rude to the neighbor kids, sassy to his Daddy, and the last straw, folks?  He hit the Jeep.  With his hand.  While sassing his Daddy and making an ugly face.  He lost his nighttime show, one story at bedtime, and his dignity.  It was a struggle to get him to bed and I think it's going to take some getting used to.  Being around Mommy all day is new and weird and tiring and there's no nap hour or sprinkler time or bouncy house. 

I better pull out my bag of tricks soon or we're both going to hit the Jeep.     

1 comment:

  1. LOL. If we see Dustin driving around in a Jeep with little hand sized dents - we will know how it's going...

    ReplyDelete