Thursday, March 25, 2010

Cool Mom goes on a Road Trip part 1

If you know Jos, and you see her, pat her on the back. She has acheived what most of us dream of. She traded in a cushy, big business, suit-wearing job for a nerve-wracking, small business, be-your-own-boss job. I caught wind of her olive oil shop grand opening and made a spur-of-the-moment decision to drive from Seattle to Coeur d'Alene at the crack of dawn on Saturday. With both kids in tow. Without the physical assistance of my husband. I love flying by the seat of my pants. Dustin fully supported us taking off without him- after all, he already had a golf date (there's a back story there that we'll get to later).

So, decision was made on Friday morning. Friday night was spent charging the portable DVD player, charging the camera battery, washing Ella's clothes, filling up with gas, getting cash (it was a well-budgeted trip!), and packing the car with toys and luggage so all we had to do in the morning was feed Ella and leave. As luck would have it, baby girl woke up 30 min before my alarm. And so did Breckin. My master plan of scooping them up out of bed and letting them sleep in the car was destroyed. Ella ate and fell right back asleep. No such luck with Buddy. I left him in his jammies and played soft music but it was all in vain. That kid was up. And excited. Sooooo a trip through Starbucks for me, a McD's sausage sandwich for him, and we were on the road.

Let me just say this. I have the BEST road trip kids on the planet. He never got bored. He never whined. He picked a baggie of veggies over a package of chocolate chip cookies. When the battery on his DVD player ran out, he didn't get upset. When we had to nurse Ella in front of the gas station in Ellensburg with me in the front passenger seat and him still stuck in the car, he didn't complain. When there was no town to speak of between Ritzville and Spangle, he didn't complain. (That kid always has to know what town he's in. It was hard for him to understand that sometimes there just wasn't a town.) When we drove down the hill into Spokane, he got more and more excited. When our destination was 40 minutes past Spokane, he didn't complain. I would drive across the country with those kids.... finally I've found a trait that they get from me. More later.....

No comments:

Post a Comment