Thursday, March 25, 2010

Cool Mom part 3

Sunday morning. Everyone wakes up happy. Ella didn't sleep well which means we both didn't sleep well but at least Breckin slept from 8:25 to 7:45 so being up every 2 hours is tolerable when it lasts for 11 hours. A quick breakfast of Captain Crunch, grapes, and apple slices while watching Handy Manny in the motel room was shared by Buddy and me in anticipation of meeting Joslyn, Michael, and Courtney for brunch later that morning.

We have nothing on our plate for Sunday other than spending time with our favorite Eastsiders and driving home. Talk about going from a crammed day to an empty day. We gather ourselves back in the car and head West to Spokane. After a minor switcheroo, we end up at Madeline's in downtown Spokane. If the Brewery was ridiculous yesterday, this place was reeedonkulous. Breakfast is to Madeline's as burgers are to Miners. It's that good. The berry french toast and I are getting married next week. It's always great to hang out with Jos and Court but to have a scrumptous meal like that with them.... heavenly. Have I mentioned that the food is good? And, to top it off, Breckin was still well-behaved.

I knew he was just starting to get punchy towards the end so we scurried over to Riverfront Square to use the potty. I spy a children's museum in the bottom of the mall and figured- hey, an hour to get all remaining wiggles out would be good for all of us. We hugged Jos and Court goodbye and went to explore. He was beside himself. It was like they made that place for him. They had a marble maze, road track for plasma cars, pretend fishing village, train table, tree house with hiding hole, and giant lego building space. I warned him that as soon as Ella woke up and needed to eat, we'd need to leave. He agreed. And, when it was time, he left with no complaint. I knew he was tired and ready to go and to sit with me while she ate was going to be a chore. I told him- bribery, I know, it's not great but sometimes it works- that if he was good and patient while she ate, he could pick out a new good night friend from Nordy's.

We hunkered down in the mother's lounge and Ella got to work. He was good at the start. Only jumping around on the floor. Then the furniture tricks started. He knocked over a giant cushioned foot stool. I stayed calm. He sat upside down on the couch. I stayed calm. He jumped up and down on a fancy, supermod decorative couch. I stayed very calm and told him- jump again and you don't get a new toy. He was good and patient for 1.5 minutes. He jumped on the couch, looked at me like "I know what I just did was bad", and I said "that's it- no new toy." Welcome to major breakdown. Breckin proceeded to sit on the floor and fake cry and promised he would never jump on the couch again. "Mommy, let's start over, I'll make a better choice. Mommy, you are not cool. You are not fun." He repeated this over and over to which I replied, I know Buddy but that's what happens when you make bad choices.

Several nice patrons of Nordys walked in and out of our little man learning the lesson that mommy means what she says. They all left with smiles on their faces at the poor boy who jumped on the couch and lost a privilege. Two gave me thumbs up. I knew he didn't think I was cool or fun right then but I knew I was. Ella finished up and we headed to the car with no new good night friend. He was upset but I could tell what he really wanted was to get in the car, turn on a movie, and zone out for a while. He didn't fall asleep until we passed the Snoqualmie Ski area but the whole drive home he was calm, cool, and patient. I'm so proud of him.

2 comments:

  1. You've inspired me to update my blog...I don't have kids as an excuse so if you can do it, so can I!!! Cheers to you, you cool mom!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, cool mom!
    I just read your whole blog. I didn't know it was here. I found it because I drank a bottle of wine with Raegan and we started googling people. Then we named our pinochle team A Tube Full of Trucks and whooped the boys good.
    Keep posting and I'll keep reading! And sheesh, I thought I was the writer in this family. It's on now!

    ReplyDelete