Thursday, March 25, 2010

Cool Mom part 2

So, we've landed in CdA- that's what the locals refer to it as so I'm joining in. Our dinky motel is clean and roomy. Coulda fooled me from the looks of it. We meet up with the Biss's and grab lunch. For those of you that work at the CdA Brewery, I apologize. We left more food on the floor than in our bellies. Breckin made Tim say "Bowling with Bumpers" louder and more times that anyone should have to hear. No one could sit still. It was a disaster but the food was.... in the words of Tim.... ridiculous. Seriously. So good.

I told Breckin that I spied a candy store and a toy store and we would definitely be making stops there after we dropped in on Jos. And drop in on Jos, we did. Her face, when this group of ragamuffins rolled by her store window, was priceless. Ever see someone from work outside of the workplace and you think "they shouldn't be here. they don't exist away from their desk." That's it. Why in the hell would two families with small children drive 5+ hours to get some olive oil? Pure love, that's why.

So, after a quick visit to the CdA olive oil company, we went to Figpickles or Pigfickles or Mister Magoriums Wonder Emporium- whatever that toy store is called. Breckin struck gold with a plastic tube full of trucks. Candy store? Not as cool but the ice cream coulda fooled them. Good enough. Here's where I fall back on my white trashy roots. Ella needed to eat. And, I needed olive oil products. So- sorry Jos- I used her coat closet to feed my baby. Scrunched down on the floor of a broom closet, nursing Ella, with Breckin in my lap, too and whisper-yelling at him to keep the door closed- is not my proudest moment. You do what works but that was a low point for me. Not enough yet? Let's go swimming.

Our motel didn't have a pool but the Biss's did. We ran back to the room, changed into suits (including Ella!), and scrambled over to their pool. Here's my cool moment. We are sitting on the bed in our cheesy motel getting Ella into her suit when Breckin says: "Mommy, you're cool. And you're fun." My heart swells. I say "thanks buddy" and he says "you don't have to say thank you. I got a tube of trucks." Ahhhh.

Swam for an hour, changed 7 people in under 30 minutes, and met Michael and Jos for dinner. Again, Breckin is being a champ. He's just going with the flow. We get out of dinner at 8:03. Call Daddy at 8:22. Two sleeping kids by 8:25.

Let's recap. 5:30 am- kids up
6:00 am- in the car, on the road
8:00, 12:20- feed Ella
12:30- get to motel
1:30- eat lunch, walk around, get toys, visit Jos
4:30- swim
5:45- change, head back out
6:30- dinner
8:00- bed time
That's a long day for anyone- adults included. These kids handled it with smiles and grace. I couldn't ask for more.
Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment